FArmington Emergency Medical Team, Inc.

Farmington First Responders

Our first response vehicle


About Us

Phone: 608-857-3139

Fax: 608-857-3685


It was thirty two years ago in the spring of 1981 when members of this community started an effort to improve emergency medical services in the Town of Farmington. Parents of young children, Leonard and Mary Atkinson and Ken and Linda Waters led an effort to obtain First Responder services in the community similar to what was in West Salem, Holmen and Onalaska. They held community meetings, approached the Town Board who sent them to approach the Fire Department. After some discussion, the Fire Department declined to expand their services. Back to the Town Board they went!  The Town Board allocated $2,000 and asked that a nonprofit corporation be organized to operate the service, giving the community some insulation from potential liability.


In the summer of 1981, a number of volunteers were gathered to begin training in the fall.  In August, classes were held in the basement of the Mindoro Lutheran Church which were taught by Western Wisconsin Technical Institute, forerunner of Western Technical College.


In December 1981, the paperwork was completed and executed to create Farmington Emergency Medical Team, Inc., the nonprofit corporation formed to provide EMS in the Town of Farmington. A grant from the Henke Grandview Foundation of La Crosse provided the organization with three stocked jump kits and other equipment. That equipment arrived in February of 1982 and services began March 1, 1982.


This was before 9-1-1 service and dispatching was done locally using a 7 digit number.  Volunteers/Members were called by phone by the person dispatching. There were no pagers or radios. There was an on call schedule and equipment had to be transferred between Volunteers. When 9-1-1 came on line in 1983, the Volunteers were freed to move about the community when four pagers were purchased. Equipment had to be moved around each time volunteers changed shifts; even the backboard was passed around.


In the summer of 1983, we purchased our first vehicle which was a 1974 Dodge ambulance from the Necedah Fire Department. Volunteers refurbished and painted the vehicle, and Vern and Maggie Bjorkquist donated use of their shop for the work. When this vehicle went into service, the Town provided space in the Town Highway Shop (current Fire Department) to store it.


By 1987, the members decided to replace the existing 1974 Dodge with a new vehicle that was built to meet the response needs of the team.  In the end, a new custom modified Ford E250 van was purchased from O’Hearn’s in Melrose. Midwest Off-Road in La Crosse then converted the vehicle to 4-wheel drive. Members again did the interior work modification of the truck. This new vehicle had a cost of $22,000.  To help finance the new vehicle, the organization took out a four year loan for $10,000.


 In 1990, we received a venture grant from the United Way to start a pre-hospital defibrillation project. After overcoming some frustrating obstacles, we were able to get the project off the ground in 1995. We now have 4 defibrillators staged with our Volunteers across our service area, reducing the response time in many instances in case of a cardiac arrest. We also have assisted in placing 4 public access defibrillators in our community.  They are located at the high school, Christ Lutheran Church in Burr Oak, Mindoro Lutheran Church and Lewis Valley Lutheran Church in Stevenstown.

After 23 years of service, we replaced our beloved “1195” with a new response vehicle, based upon a 2011, Ford E-350 Super Duty van. The van was converted by Quigley to 4-wheel drive, and the van was modified by McCoy Miller. To comply with NIMS (National Incident Management System), our ID number “1195”, was retired to be replaced with a descriptor ID, to reflect what it is, and so “Farmington Rescue 1” was born.

To contact us:

Our recently retired response vehicle “1195”

Our new response vehicle

“Rescue 1”